Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Overview of Pennsylvania Home Rule Charters
The Pennsylvania state constitution gives Pennsylvania municipalities the ability to establish Home Rule Charters that provide the municipality with a greater degree of self governance. Home Rule Charters allow the municipality to exercise any power or perform any function not denied by the Pennsylvania Constitution or the Pennsylvania General Assembly. See Article 9, Section 2 of the Pennsylvania state constitution.
A municipality's Home Rule Charter defines the structure and powers of the municipality's government, similar to how the Pennsylvania state constitution defines the structure and powers of the Pennsylvaina state government.
Philadelphia's Home Rule Charter
Philadelphia adopted its Home Rule Charter in 1951. It defines the structure and powers of the City of Philadelphia.
The Philadelphia Home Rule Charter is divided into 12 articles:
- Article I: Powers to the City
- Article II: Legislative Branch
- Article III: Executive and Administrative Branch - Organization
- Article IV: Executive and Administrative Branch - Powers and Duties - Office of the Mayor
- Article V: Executive and Administrative Branch - Powers and Duties - Office of the Managing Director
- Article VI: Executive and Administrative Branch - Powers and Duties - Office of the Director of Finance
- Article VII: Executive and Administrative Branch - Powers and Duties - Office of Personnel Director
- Article VIII: Provisions of General Application
- Article IX: Removal of Elective and Appointive Officers
- Article X: Prohibited Activities of City Officials and City Employees
- Article XI: Severability and Acts Superceded
- Artice XII: Public Education
The Philadelphia Home Rule Charter is available through several electronic and print resources.
Philadelphia Home Rule Charter - Web Version
The City of Philadelphia's Web site links to an official version of the Philadelphia Home Rule Charter.
Philadelphia Home Rule Charter - Print Version
A print version of Philadephia's Home Rule Charter is available in the Legal Research Center's print collection: